| Personal space!|
Mary (by Jade)
Buenos Aires, Argentina (former)
Germán Castillo (ex-husband)
Studio 21 (former)
Season 1, Episode 1 (mentioned and seen on photos)
María Saramego is Violetta's dead mother and Germán Castillo's deceased wife. As stated by Angie and Violetta, María was a wonderful, talented and dedicated woman who had a huge passion for music. She was a very successful singer, but with Violetta's birth, she decided to dedicate more time to her daughter.
María was a singer and Violetta inherited her musical talent from her. María died when Violetta was 5 years old.
María has never appeared on the series, she is only mentioned and seen in photos. Everyone says that she had a great heart. Its possible that she was very similar to Violetta when she was young. She had a brilliant voice, because all the people that listened to her singing said that Violetta had the same voice as her mother.
- It is possible that Saramego was María's stage name.
- It is possible that María was part Portuguese, because Saramego is a Portuguese name.
- It is unknown why María has Saramego as her last name, while Angie and Angélica has Carrará.
- She was a famous singer.
- She died in a tour bus accident.
- When she was pregnant with Violetta, she wrote a poem about the growth and she wanted to give it to Violetta when she grows up.
- It is mentioned by Angie and Germán that she loved caramel apples.
- It is unknown who is the woman who plays her in the photos and her voices.
- She gave Angie a ring for her tenth birthday.
- Her catchphrase was "Singing is who I am".
- Saramego is Portuguese for 'wild radish'.
- After she gave birth to Violetta, María didn't want to go back into the music business but her father persuaded her to go for one last tour, which resulted in her death.
- It was mentioned in the first episode of season 1 (A Dream, a Song) that she loved red roses.
- She was a friend of António's.
- She didn't want Violetta to become an artist, but the only thing she wanted was for her to be happy.